Job Posting: Full Time Assistant Priest
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Elbow Park, Calgary
Who we are as a Church
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church is a flourishing church in the heart of Calgary with a rich history and an exciting future. We value our rich liturgical and musical tradition, our commitment to the faith development of our children, our long-term, face-to-face support for refugees, and our desire to be a welcoming parish where people from all walks of life can deepen their love of God and neighbour in a supportive community. We try to balance an intellectual approach to faith with an experiential one as we learn to love God with all our minds and hearts so that with our hands we can love Christ in our neighbours.
We have a talented and playful staff team made up of the Rector, Music Director, Office Administrator, part time Preschool Director, and we are hiring a Coordinator of Children, Youth, and Family Ministry. Two wise and faithful Honorary Assistants share in the Sunday liturgies. We have a positive and energetic group of lay leaders who are enthusiastic about investing in forward looking approaches to ministry to compliment our traditions. There is an opportunity for the Assistant Priest to explore new horizons of ministry. This is a parish that is willing to try things, and isn’t scared of failure. We have good news to share and we want someone to help us find ways connect that good news with our neighbours.
We believe in supporting our clergy. You will be expected to keep Sabbath, to be off when you are on vacation, and to make a yearly spiritual retreat. Your prayer life is important to the church. Who you are is one of the most important things you bring to ministry, so we expect you to attend to your spirit.
Over the next five years our priorities are:
- Continuing to grow our family ministries
- Becoming a ‘mixed economy’ church with excellent traditional worship and ministries while exploring new forms of church like Messy Church, dinner church, online church, urban monastery
- Expand the impact of our online ministries by engaging authentically in digital space, not just broadcasting the in-person church experience
- Continuing to expand our outreach
- Strengthening the relationships within our congregation as we come back together post-pandemic
Who We are Hoping Will Join Us in Ministry
The Assistant Priest will be highly relational. Pastoral relationships and community connections formed through a variety of media will be a priority. Engaging people and community in the digital world is a frontier for Christ Church. The Assistant Priest will have a digital fluency that can help us connect meaningfully in virtual spaces. Opportunities exist for a creative person to bring others alongside them in fresh expressions of church. Recruiting, training, and empowering lay people for ministry should be a source of joy for the Assistant Priest.
Personal characteristics of the kind of person we believe we are looking for include:
- Someone who has an active life of prayer, faith, and service
- A person who takes initiative and sees projects through to completion
- A creative, outside-the-box thinker who can identify and initiate new ways of engaging with parishioners and neighbours
- Someone who is gifted in areas of pastoral care, and community engagement
- A person that is able to build and maintain strong pastoral relationships
- Willingness to make a three to five-year commitment to the work of the parish
As Assistant Priest, areas of primary responsibility will be focused on the following ministries:
- Growing our connection and integration within the local community
- Online & Digital ministry, formation and community building
- Welcoming and integrating newcomers into the life and ministry of the parish
- Pastoral care, home, and hospital visitation
Areas of secondary responsibilities shared with and in support of the Rector include:
- Regular ministrations of the clergy (weddings, funerals, and baptisms)
- Weekly Holy Eucharist services and monthly Senior’s Home services
- Regular share in preaching through all seasons of the Church year
- Adult Christian Education & Bible Study
Applicants are asked to outline how their knowledge, skills, and experience align with the vision and goals of Christ Church. Your response should be between 700 and 1500 words in length.
We also ask for a current CV, along with a list of references who can speak to your effectiveness in your previous roles. These documents can be sent to The Venerable Pilar Gateman, Executive Officer of the Diocese of Calgary ([email protected]).
Application deadline: July 29, 2022
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com