Christ Church Calgary
Employment Opportunity: Children, Youth and Family Ministries Co-Ordinator
Looking for a full time candidate to fill the 6 month contract of Children, Youth & Family Ministries Co-Ordinator at The Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Elbow Park, Calgary.
Who we are as a Church
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Elbow Park is an established church on the fringe of the inner-city. We are a welcoming congregation. We think seriously about our faith. We seek to make the love of God known through our outreach. Our rich liturgical and musical traditions shape our shared spirituality. We seek to be a ‘mixed economy’ church, making space for both tradition and innovation.
Pre-pandemic we had an average weekly attendance of 20 kids from infant to 12 years in our Kids Church (Sunday School) and Nursery, with about 60 kids we would consider “regular.” Our youth choir of 6-10 kids and youth sings three Sundays/month. As we emerge from pandemic restrictions we are looking to rebuild our children’s ministry programs and reconnect with our young families. Many of our kids are moving into the Tween/Teen years, but we do still have a large core of preschool-early elementary aged kids.
Christ Church has a preschool for 3 & 4 year olds that was started by the church over 20 years ago. We have a good symbiotic relationship. The preschool represents a natural connection with the wider community that is important to the parish.
We are looking to rebuild our Sunday Kids Church program, find meaningful ways to engage our youth in the life of the church in intergenerational and age-appropriate modes, and to expand our reach to the young families in our neighbourhood.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- An active life of faith, prayer and service, and a strong ability to practice self care, ensuring emotional availability for others.
- Ability to recognize the spiritual dimension within the lives of children, adults and families.
- Teaching and planning experience.
- The ability to work positively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- An ability to work independently – a self-starter – to problem solve creatively and to multi-task.
- A willingness to grow with Christ Church as the Church grows, and an ability to be flexible and accept changing responsibilities as the ministry evolves and adapts to changing community needs.
- Skilled at building relationships with children, youth and their parents.
- Able to work a flexible work week depending on family/youth ministry activities.
- Working knowledge of the Anglican Church of Canada faith tradition is an asset.
- Oversee Kids Church (Sunday School) and Nursery, by (in partnership with the clergy) finding appropriate curriculum, recruiting and training leaders and teachers.
- Coordinate monthly Messy Church as an outreach to unchurched families in our neighbourhood.
- Plan intergenerational events through the program year.
- Develop meaningful points of connection for our youth through service in existing ministries and age-appropriate faith formation opportunities.
- Support the development of community among our young families.
- Fostering the relationship between the Church and our Preschool in cooperation with the Preschool Director.
- Collaborate with the clergy in planning baptism and confirmation prep classes.
Full Time 6 month contract with option to renew
Monday to Thursday, Sunday
First Aid C Certification (preferred)
Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search (mandatory)
Applicants are asked to outline how their knowledge, skills, and experience align with the goals, characteristics, and responsibilities outlined above. Your response should be between 500 and 1000 words in length.
We also ask for a current CV, along with a list of references who can speak to your effectiveness in your previous roles.
Applications can be sent to our Rector, Brandon Witwer at [email protected]
Application Deadline: July 29, 2022
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com