Website Diocese of Calgary
ASSOCIATE PRIEST POSITION IN THE BOW VALLEY.
Canmore and Banff Alberta, to live and minister in a National Park; a unique Anglican opportunity!
The Co-operating Parishes of St. Michael, Canmore and St. George-in-the- Pines, Banff seek a newly ordained Anglican Priest for the contract position of Associate Priest, serving both parishes and communities from a base in Banff. The Rev. Howard Thornton, Incumbent of both parishes, is based in Canmore.
This is a full-time contract position, currently funded for three years with significant support from the Diocese of Calgary. The Associate Priest will be a member of the Corporations and Parish Councils of both parishes and will report directly to the Incumbent as well as being part of a team both lay and ordained that will report on a semi-annual basis direct to the Diocese. This is something of an experimental position, and the exact duties and responsibilities are likely to evolve over the three-year period.
Desired personal qualities include, in no particular order:
1. A strong sense that God is calling you to Ministry and Mission in the Bow Valley from a base in Banff
2. A wish for an active outdoor lifestyle.
3. Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to relate well to diverse populations
4. Ability to network, within the Anglican Church, ecumenically and with appropriate governmental and secular community groups, seeing God’s work as having a strong social and outreach component
5. Educational (and perhaps experiential) interest in Mission and Church Growth.
6. Ability to work with both parishes and to respect and value their similarities and differences.
7. Strong social media skills, with an awareness of the limitations and risks of such media.
8. Ability to operate independently in a team ministry setting both lay and ordained, while yet recognizing that you are a member of the team but not the team leader.
9. A strong realization that God’s work, particularly in communities like Banff, is not necessarily accomplished only during daylight hours or on certain days of the week, and a willingness to adapt your lifestyle accordingly.
Duties and responsibilities might include:
1. Conducting services and providing ministry in both parishes, both in the churches and in ways and places that might resonate with a range of social or community groups not presently in active contact with God or desiring a different mode of contact than that presently existing.
2. Working with the laity in both parishes to assist and inspire them to appreciate how they might best help to bring more people into active connection with God, whether in or outside a church building.
3. At all times being an effective member both of the team that joins the two parishes in co-operation and of the teams in each of the two parishes
Interested priests should contact the Ven. Pilar Gateman by email [email protected]
There is no formal closing date. Applications will both be reviewed as they come in and will continue to be received until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com